History of Holy Name

Our parish was founded on August 16, 1955, when the Catholic Community of Watertown was divided into two parishes. Holy Name Parish was set apart from Immaculate Conception on that date by Bishop William O. Brady. The new parish, which was  to be headed by Father Myron Martin, consisted of areas in northeast and northwest Watertown. The new parish at first held Sunday Masses in the city auditorium, with baptisms, funerals and weddings being held at Immaculate Conception Church.

In 1957 the new school and auditorium were completed and the liturgical services were held there. The Holy Name School was staffed by the Bernadine Sisters from Reading, Pennsylvania. In August, 1963, Father Francis Dillon became the second pastor of  the parish and remained in that position until 1973. In 1966 the school was closed wen the nuns were forded to depart because of a lack of vocations within their Order. under Father Dillon's pastorate the new church and rectory building was built; being blessed by Bishop Lambert A. Hoch on March 3, 1968.

In 1973 Father James Wolf became the parish's third pastor and remained here until May, 1982 when Father Robert L. Flannery became the fourth pastor. Father Flannery remained in the parish until July 1988 when Father Joseph E. Murphy became the fifth pastor of Holy Name Parish. 

Father Jerome Holtzman was assigned to Holy Name Parish in 1992    and during his time at Holy Name  he added the Angelus Center in 1999  as well as having  several pieces of art commissioned throughout the church and also the Holy Family Shrine on the west side of the  rectory. 

In July 2000, Father John Lantsberger became pastor and in 2004 the Parish Center (Holy Name School Building) was completely renovated.

Father Michael Wensing,  became Pastor   in July of 2013. He led both Watertown parishes into consolidating our Catholic school into the Watertown Catholic School Corporation. Though the separate non-profit parochial school continues with its traditional name of Immaculate Conception School.  In 2015 he completed new landscaping and a new life shrine with an original bronze statue by sculpturer Timothy Schmalz titled "return of the unborn."